It’s true! You CAN have white bread on a keto diet, and it tastes… so… good! This white bread has a slightly sweet, nutty flavour and a nice crusty finish. I love mine toasted with butter, as sandwich bread, in my 1-carb Keto Cinnamon French Toast with Cheesecake Drizzle, or Basil & Feta Bruschetta, but the possibilities are endless.
This bread takes under 10 minutes prepare (plus ~60 minutes to bake) and the entire recipe is prepared in one bowl only.
I slice the finished loaf into 18 slices (about the thickness of store-bought sliced bread) and each slice boasts almost 2 grams of dietary fiber. It’s firm enough that you can easily slice it cracker-thin or slab-thick depending on its purpose.
2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup ground psyllium hulk powder
1 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 egg whites (or 1/2 cup of liquid egg whites)
1/2 cup lukewarm water
Cooking spray (I use coconut oil cooking spray)
1. Preheat oven to 350F/175 C.
2. Lightly mist a 9×5 inch baking pan with cooking spray. *Optional: cut a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom of the pan prior to spraying.
3. Melt coconut oil if it is solid (20-30 seconds in the microwave or stove top).
4. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (almond flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, salt) and stir with a fork until incorporated
5. Add wet ingredients to the mixture (melted coconut oil, eggs, egg whites, and water).
6. Hand stir vigorously until all ingredients are incorporated. Continue stirring for an additional 30 seconds to help infuse more air into the dough.
7. Bake in pre-heated oven for 60 minutes or until the top is crusty and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Net Carbs are carbohydrates that are absorbed by the body. Net Carbs are calculated by subtracting Dietary Fiber from Total Carbohydrates.