For a long time, I thought I was making a good keto choice when I ordered egg bites with my morning coffee. It’s just egg and cheese, right? Wrong! I finally checked out the nutrition facts for a few popular franchises and some of their egg bites are over 10 carbs per serving. So, I set out to find a foolproof method for attaining that silky, smooth texture for a fraction of the carbs.
I was over the moon when I finally found the right ratios! These egg bites are only 1 net carb each, they’re inexpensive to make, and you probably already have all the ingredients on hand. The recipe below is for the “base” but I think you’ll enjoy experimenting with different add-ins (herbs, veggies, spices, meats, cheeses). They’re quick to make and perfect for batching because they freeze very well.
*I strongly encourage you use to a silicone muffin baking mould and a blender (magic bullet, nutribullet, etc.) for this recipe. I was only able to get the velvety texture of the sous vide cooking method when using both.
Ingredients (makes 6 egg bites)
3 whole eggs
1 egg white (or 1/4 cup liquid egg white)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 heavy whipping cream
Add-ins (I’ve enjoyed them with bacon bits, kale, deli meat, smoked salmon, hot sauce, jarred red pepper, mushrooms, fresh herbs, or cheddar)
1. Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
2. Prepare a water bath by adding about 1/2 inch of water to an oven pan that is larger than your silicone baking mould. Lightly mist the baking mould with cooking spray and nestle the mould into the water bath.
3. Combine whole eggs, egg white, parmesan cheese, and heavy whipping cream in bullet blender, as well as any spices or sauces or your choice. Blend for 30 seconds.
4. Carefully distribute the batter into 6 parts in the mould, taking care not to move too quickly as the mould is floating in a water bath.
5. Evenly distribute add-ins of your choice into the moulds (e.g. cooked bacon, chopped veggies, extra cheese).
6. Place in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes (or until a knife inserted in the egg bite centers comes out clean).